Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Car Dilemma

This post has been in my draft folder since July 24th! I am procrastinating on writing a blog about the car I am procrastinating to buy - seriously that is just ridiculous.

My current car is a 1999 VW Passat and that is honestly the only car I have EVER owned. So this whole car buying thing is quite overwhelming. I am not even sure I NEED a new car since I drive less than 10,000 miles per year. I really don't like driving all that much but if I have to drive I like the car to stick firm to the road . . .

I discovered that when I test drove the Toyota Camry. The car was nice but I HATED the suspension that wags around corners! Even the SE (sport suspension) was not good. And since I can't even buy a manual its off the list.

Honda Accord - I am a slacker I haven't gotten around to test driving this.
Subaru Impreza. I promised my cousin Colleen (who sold her VW Passat to get this) that I would test drive it. And I suppose I will - at least it doesn't have the hole in the hood like the Legacy - I am not sure I could stand that.

I have LOVED my car for the past 9 years so to be fair I need to test drive the new Passat. Who knows maybe I'll be boring and get the same car! But probably not t
I test drove the 2008 Audi A4 and it was nice. The salesman was trying to prove that the awesome 4 wheel drive and all that stuff was worth so much more money . . . blah blah. But it appears they are all sold out and the 2009 will jump in price by $10,000 - that is steep.

The MINI! It is a fun car to drive! But alas I think I would get sick of only being able to buy 1 bag of groceries per trip.

So far my favorite is the Acura TSX. It is a great size and fun to drive. The problem is that I can't find any used ones for any less than $2000 off the sticker price of BRAND NEW one. How is that possible????
Help - what should I do??

4 comments:

Crafty P said...

I think you should call the official 4 square car guy (aka my husband). He can answer your questions about a lot of these cars and thensome!

email me for his digits, sarah!

Megan said...

I have 1994 Honda Accord (now Matt drives it) and it's been good to us. I bought it in 1999 after college - so I definitely can recommend the Accord as a reliable pick!

Anonymous said...

We LOVE our two Toyota Priuses. They rock -- super fun, sporty, and fabulous gas mileage. Lots of room. LOVE THEM. Cannot recommend them enough!

Vileation Nation said...

Is it true that Acuras are built on the same frames as Hondas, but are just more expensive? Because if so, I say "save your money and travel around more!!!!" ...perhaps to Baltimore!

We have two Saturn Vues and they have been good to us. At the same time, we're not huge car people, we are more function-oriented than quality-of-the-drive oriented, so our opinion probably does not count for much!