Sunday, April 27, 2008

Brown Shoes

I just don't like shopping for shoes. In fact I hate it when my very-out-of-style shoes wear out and I have to buy new ones. So after re-soling my old brown shoes twice I figured that it was time to buy new ones. A few of my friends and I went shopping and I found a pair. I got them but was hesitant about them so the box sat in my bedroom untouched . . .
. . . then Katie came over. My niece is a shoe lover and at 5 probably has better taste in shoes than me. So she sees the shoe box and proceeds to open it. The next thing I hear is a gasping sigh and then "OH AUNT SARAH THESE ARE BEAUTIFUL!" She puts them on and goes to my full length mirror where she admires herself in them.

She is all excited and I can just see the gears turning in her head as she gleams from ear to ear. She then says "Aunt Sarah, could you save these for my 8th birthday." At which point I am laughing in histarics and trying to figure out if she said 8 because she thinks she'll be old enough to wear heels by then or if she figures 3 years is such a long time to wait that surely that is a considerable sacrifice.

So THEN . . . a little while later everyone was at my parents house for Passover and I had to head to the train station right from there. I had on nice jeans and the black heels that go with my black suit that I was planning to wear the next day for work in Chicago. Katie comes up to me with her eyes on my shoes and tells me. "Aunt Sarah, your brown shoes would look better with that outfit than those black ones."

Honestly, I am now taking fashion advice from a 5 year old!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so with you on the shoe shopping! I've been living in a pair of nasty flip flops since the weather has turned nice. Could you send Katie this way? Maybe she could help me pick out some decent shoes.

Crafty P said...

I'd like to hire little Katie as well.
I, too, am SO with you about the shoe shopping thing. I'm just a little out of touch.

I love flip flop season!