Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Finally! Purpose of Appendix

About 10 years ago I had to have my appendix out and following a relatively simple surgery and quick recovery I immediately started to have other GI track issues. Not to get into the gory details or anything but I was shocked that none of the physicians could actually pin point the problem. I had an upper-GI barium floroscopy scan, a colonoscopy, and a number of emergency room visits with NOTHING. When a family friend told my mother I should take a probiotic (Shaklee Optiflora) that is when everything got better. So I got to thinking . . . hmmm so now I don't have an appendix, and now I need to supply my body with good bacteria to keep it working well. So for the past 10 years I've been telling everyone that I think the appendix was designed to be a safe haven for your body to produce good bacteria. And low and behold the scientific community has made a huge discovery! Surgeons and immunologists from Duke University Medical School believe your appendix produces and protects the good bacteria in your gut. (Scientific Article) I am thankful that they have made this important discovery.

1 comment:

Megan said...

that's pretty fascinating!