Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Chocolate and Bones

I am afraid to share this information with my mostly female audience but I thought it was important especially since many of you may be getting Chocolates for Valentines Day. There is a study that show that high intakes of Chocolate are related to decreased bone density. You can read about it here. I found the article interesting since my nutrition studies have also pointed out that craving chocolate usually means that you have a magnesium deficiency. And while everyone seems to know that Calcium is needed for strong bones not as many people know that you have to have Calcium and Magnesium in a 2:1 ratio for proper bone health. So this is just a tidbit of information that my medical imaging job and nutritional focused mindset just couldn't keep to myself!

3 comments:

Kevin and Amy said...

Well that is exactly what I DID NOT need to hear!!! Stick to the green-lipped mussels, lady!

And hey...got your message...hanging out in Key West right now and have no plans for Europe in the near future. BUT...there is a rumor about being in Wisconsin the week of Feb 18...something like Jamesville or Janesville or something? I'll keep you posted!!!!

Sarah said...

Amy, just as a clarification my view is that severe chocolate addiction and weak bones are both the result of something else. I think that if you enjoy chocoalate and you make sure to have proper Calcium and Magnesium intake then you are fine. The scientific paper did not convince me that chocolate CAUSES low bone density. I highly doubt that.

Crafty P said...

I'm thinking you'd need to consume MASSIVE amounts of chocolate daily for this to affect you?

Less than an ounce a day is probably okay, right?

I heart chocolate.